- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup better than bouillon reduced sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- FOR POTATO LAYER: Peel potatoes and chop into small pieces. Place chopped potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. (About 15 – 20 minutes)
- Drain water from pot. Mash the potatoes. Add buttery spread, rice milk and garlic powder. Continue to mash until no lumps remain. Cover potatoes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil.
- FOR MEAT LAYER: In a large 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook and crumble meat until browned. Drain grease.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over meat mixture. Stir and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, broth, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in frozen carrots, corn and celery. Cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour meat mixture into prepared pan. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes until casserole is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is adapted from this recipe to meet the requirements of the TED Reintroduction Phase.