• 1/2 cup soy/dairy free shortening
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 flax eggs || 2 eggs – original recipe
• 3/4 cup mashed banana
• 1&1/4 cup All Purpose Rice Flour Mix || 1&1/4 cup All Purpose Flour – original recipe
• 3/4 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 Tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
1) Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
2) Add flax eggs (or regular eggs for original recipe) and beat well.
3) Stir in bananas.
4) Sift together flour, soda, and salt.
5) Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
6) Spread in greased 9×9 inch round pan.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until center in firm to the touch.
8) Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
9) While the cake is still warm rub Earth Balance Buttery Spread on the top of the cake and then cover with brown sugar.
1) This did not turn out the way that it does when I use regular flour and real eggs. It didn’t rise and hold together well. My husband thought it was terrible, but I ate it all anyhow because it was still sweet and something new. I’ll probably try to make it again but use some baking powder and acid to help it rise better.
2) After I had reintroduced wheat and eggs this turned out AMAZING when I made it according to the original recipe ingredients. Do it!