- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 cup medium pearl barley (not quick cooking barley)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2) In a large skillet, melt the buttery spread over medium heat and add the barley, garlic and onions. Saute the mixture, stirring frequently, until the onions are tender and the barley is golden.
3) Scrape the mixture into a 3-quart baking dish and stir in the salt, pepper and chicken broth. Bake uncovered for 60-80 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender.
This Barley Pilaf was adapted from this recipe to meet the TED Reintroduction Phase requirements.