- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped fairly thin (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped fairly thin (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 – 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried sage (optional)
- 1/4 tsp celery seed, finely crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups brown rice pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1) To a slow cooker, add chicken (un-cut), diced carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Drizzle olive oil over top then add in chicken broth, water, thyme, rosemary, celery seed, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat 6 – 7 hours.
2) Remove cooked chicken and allow to rest 10 minutes, then dice into bite size pieces. Meanwhile, add pasta and parsley to slow cooker. Increase temperature to high, cover and cook 10 minutes longer (or until noodles are tender). Stir in lemon juice and toss in cooked, diced chicken.
3) Serve and enjoy!
This Chicken Noodle Soup was adapted from this recipe to meet TED Reintroduction Phase requirements.